An Intensive Introduction to Governmental Accounting, Auditing, and
Financial Reporting using Government Finance Officers Association Training Materials.
Register Now! – EVENT IS FULL
Click here to be placed on a waiting list
Who Will Benefit:
Accountants, finance officers, and auditors new to the public sector.
Accountants and auditors new to the public sector must immediately face the daunting challenge of familiarizing themselves with the highly specialized rules, guidelines, and practices applicable to state and local governments. This intensive three-day workshop – intended for those who already possess at least a basic knowledge of private-sector accounting – combines lecture, discussion, and exercises to help newcomers make this difficult, but essential, transition. Click here for the detailed agenda.
Those who successfully complete this seminar should obtain a solid basic understanding of each of the following:
- The unique environmental factors that have led to specialized accounting and financial reporting for state and local governments;
- Fund accounting;
- Government-wide financial reporting;
- How to categorize and measure transactions and events;
- Budgetary reporting;
- Elements of a comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR);
- How to interpret state and local government financial statements;
- Specialized applications (pensions, other postemployment benefits, termination benefits, government combinations, service concession arrangements, capital assets); and
- Internal control and auditing in the public sector.
Experience working in a local government.
Tuesday, August 28
Bob Scott, Assistant City Manager/Chief Financial Officer, City of Carrollton; and Deborah Beams, Director, BKD, LLP
Wednesday, August 29
Bob Scott, Assistant City Manager/Chief Financial Officer, City of Carrollton; and Kevin Smith, Partner, Crowe LLP
Thursday, August 30
Keith A. Dagen, Director of Finance, City of Richardson; and Blake Rodgers, Senior Manager-Audit & Assurance, Deloitte & Touche, LLP
Member Price: $475.00 Non-Member Price: $575.00
Click for online registration Registration Form PDF – Download
Location and Hotel Information:
The Academy will be held at The North Central Texas Council of Governments, 616 Six Flags Dr, Arlington, TX 76011, Phone: (817) 640-3300. If you are in need of a hotel, click here to obtain a listing of properties close to the training facility.