This event is sold out.
To be placed on the waiting list email Lavern Gaines.
An Intensive Introduction to Governmental Accounting, Auditing, and Financial Reporting using Government Finance Officers Association Training Materials.
Who Will Benefit:
Accountants, finance officers, and auditors new to the public sector.
Accountants and auditors new to the public sector must immediately face the daunting challenge of familiarizing themselves with the highly specialized rules, guidelines, and practices applicable to state and local governments. This intensive three-day workshop – intended for those who already possess at least a basic knowledge of private-sector accounting – combines lecture, discussion, and exercises to help newcomers make this difficult, but essential, transition. Click here for the detailed agenda.
Those who successfully complete this seminar should obtain a solid basic understanding of each of the following:
- The unique environmental factors that have led to specialized accounting and financial reporting for state and local governments;
- Fund accounting;
- Government-wide financial reporting;
- How to categorize and measure transactions and events;
- Budgetary reporting;
- Elements of a comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR);
- How to interpret state and local government financial statements;
- Specialized applications (pensions, other postemployment benefits, termination benefits, government combinations, service concession arrangements, capital assets); and
- Internal control and auditing in the public sector.
Experience working in a local government.
Tuesday, February 19
Bob Scott, Assistant City Manager/Chief Financial Officer, City of Carrollton; and Georgie Ortiz, Principal, CliftonLarsenAllen, LLP
Wednesday, February 20
Deborah A. Mol ,CPA, Director of Finance, City of Mesquite; and Ben D. Kohnle, Partner, Grant Thornton LLP
Thursday, February 21
Keith A. Dagen, Director of Finance, City of Richardson; and Adam McCane, Partner, Weaver
Member Price: $475.00 Non-Member Price: $575.00
Click for online registration Registration Form PDF Download
If you are registered and cannot attend, we encourage you to send a substitute. If you cannot send a substitute, a $45 cancellation fee will be assessed if written cancellation is received after February 8. No telephone cancellations will be accepted. No refunds will be honored after February 8.
Location and Hotel Information:
The Academy will be held at The Texas Municipal Center, 1821 Rutherford Lane, First Floor Conference Room, Austin, TX 78754 , Phone: (512)231-7400. If you are in need of a hotel, click here to obtain a listing of properties close to the training facility.