An Intensive Introduction to Governmental Accounting, Auditing, and Financial Reporting using Government Finance Officers Association Training Materials.
Who Will Benefit:
Accountants, finance officers, and auditors new to the public sector.
Accountants and auditors new to the public sector must immediately face the daunting challenge of familiarizing themselves with the highly specialized rules, guidelines, and practices applicable to state and local governments. This intensive three-day workshop – intended for those who already possess at least a basic knowledge of private-sector accounting – combines lecture, discussion, and exercises to help newcomers make this difficult, but essential, transition.
Those who successfully complete this seminar should obtain a solid basic understanding of each of the following:
- The unique environmental factors that have led to specialized accounting and financial reporting for state and local governments;
- Fund accounting;
- Government-wide financial reporting;
- How to categorize and measure transactions and events;
- Budgetary reporting;
- Elements of a comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR);
- How to interpret state and local government financial statements;
- Specialized applications (pensions, other postemployment benefits, termination benefits, government combinations, service concession arrangements, capital assets); and
- Internal control and auditing in the public sector.
Experience working in a local government.
Member Price: $475.00 Non-Member Price: $575.00
Click for online registration Registration Form PDF Download
If you are registered and cannot attend, we encourage you to send a substitute. If you cannot send a substitute, a $45 cancellation fee will be assessed if written cancellation is received after June 4. No telephone cancellations will be accepted. No refunds will be honored after June 4.
Location and Hotel Information:
The Academy will be held at The Stafford Centre, 10505 Cash Road, Stafford, Texas 77477 and Phone: 281-208-6900. GFOAT’s host hotel is the Courtyard Marriott located at 12655 Southwest Freeway, Stafford, TX 77477. Click here to reserve your guest room at the group rate of $99 plus taxes per night.
Before you go:
PDF’s of the slide decks will be available at the Governmental Accounting Academy handout page and participants have the option of either downloading the slides onto a laptop or tablet or printing the slides themselves to bring. Each day’s slide deck has several hundred slides so if you are going to use hard copies, please print them well in advance.
The academy dress code is casual–don’t forget your sweater! The meals provided per day is breakfast and lunch. Arrive around 7:30 a.m. to network with others and don’t forget your CAFR!