The GFOAT Governmental Accounting Academy is an intensive introduction to
governmental accounting, auditing, and financial reporting using GFOA training materials.
Who Will Benefit
Accountants, finance officers, and auditors new to the public sector. Finance Directors who want to increase their understanding of the governmental accounting and reporting process.
Accountants and auditors new to the public sector face the daunting challenge of familiarizing themselves with the highly specialized rules, guidelines, and practices applicable to state and local governments. This intensive three-day workshop—intended for those who already possess at least a basic knowledge of private-sector accounting—combines lecture, discussion, and exercises to help newcomers make this difficult, but essential, transition.
Agenda and Topics
- Doors open at 7:30 a.m. Breakfast and Lunch provided – email Lavern with any dietary restrictions.
- Monday (Dec 5) Sessions 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
Authoritative and best practice sources of guidance, Governmental Environment, Fund Accounting, Measurement Focus, Basis of Accounting, Revenue & Expenditure/Expense Recognition, Other Sources and Uses
- Tuesday (Dec 6) Sessions 8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
Governmental Fund Financial Statements, Proprietary Funds, Proprietary Fund Financial Statements, Inter fund Activity
- Wednesday (Dec 7) Sessions 8:00 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
Entity-Wide Financial Statements, Audit, Annual Comprehensive Financial Report
Day 1 – Bob Scott, CPA, Town of Prosper, and Ben Kohnle, CPA, Forvis
Day 2 – Debbie Reid, CPA City of Amarillo, Retired, and John DeBurro, CPA, Weaver
Day 3 – Debbie Reid, CPA, and Lauren Berry, CPA Forvis
- Those who successfully complete this seminar should obtain a solid basic understanding of each of the following:
- The unique environmental factors that have led to specialized accounting and financial reporting for state and local governments;
- Fund accounting;
- Government-wide financial reporting;
- How to categorize and measure transactions and events;
- Budgetary reporting;
- Elements of a comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR);
- How to interpret state and local government financial statements;
- Specialized applications (pensions, other postemployment benefits, leases, termination benefits, government combinations, financial reporting entity, service concession arrangements, pollution remediation, fiduciary funds) are discussed only at the conceptual level and are considered intermediate or advanced topics; and
- Internal control and auditing in the public sector is also discussed at the conceptual level without significant detail.
Basic knowledge of private sector accounting concepts and/or experience working in a local government or public accounting firm auditing local government
Registrations are limited to the first 100 registrants, and we will not maintain a waiting list.
Member Price: $675.00 • Non-Member Price: $775.00
If you are registered and cannot attend, we encourage you to send a substitute. If you cannot send a substitute, a $75 cancellation fee will be assessed if written cancellation is received on or before November 14. No telephone cancellations will be accepted. No refunds will be honored after November 14.
Meeting and Hotel Information
Overton Hotel & Conference Center
2322 Mac Davis Lane, Lubbock Texas, 79401
Meeting Space: Sunset C
Breakfast and Lunch will be in Horizon Ballroom
The Overton Hotel & Conference Center has extended a room rate of $129 for a single or double. Please book your room by November 20, 2022. Do not delay as the block can sell out prior to the deadline. To make a reservation, visit GFOAT Hotel Reservations.
Please be aware of housing poachers if contacted about booking hotel rooms for the Governmental Accounting Academy. The only GFOAT-endorsed hotel for this event is the Overton Hotel. Please note we are NOT working with any other companies to provide housing. If you receive any pirating emails or calls, please refer them to Lavern Gaines at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-231-7447.
Before You Go
Registered attendees will be sent a link to access PDF’s of the slide decks before the event. Please download or print the slides well in advance because each day’s material has several hundred slides.
The academy dress code is comfortable business casual. On Wednesday wear your favorite school, team or vacation shirt. Don’t forget your sweater or wrap to ensure comfort in the meeting room.