Chair: Adrienne Lothery, CGFO, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Government Finance Officers Association of Texas formed a standing committee to encourage the development of government accounting and finance throughout Texas. This committee, appointed by the officers of the GFOAT, is charged with the responsibility of developing and administering the funds provided for instructional development and professionalism within the industry of government finance.
The following goals are established for this committee:
- Preserve and provide financial assistance for individuals pursuing a career in government finance, accounting, or administration.
- Further government finance as a career oriented field to generate greater participation by the professionals of tomorrow.
- Encourage professionalism within the industry, at the university level and within Texas cities.
These goals shall be achieved through the following objectives:
- Contact institutes of higher learning to provide information on and encourage careers in government finance.
- Offer scholarships and fellowships to qualified individuals pursuing a career in government finance.
- Advertise, recruit and provide applications to entities with worthy candidates.
- Review submitted applications and recommend recipients to GFOAT Board of Directors.
GFOAT has established a foundation for the basis of an annual Government Finance Fellowship awarded to a graduate student in the area of governmental finance. This fellowship is awarded based on intent of study and future career choice. The foundation has been established by donations from various sponsors and intends to grow to a significant level.
The Scholarship/Fellowship Committee offers a Conference Scholarship to two attendees for each the Spring Institute and the Fall Conference. The Scholarships are for current governmental employees in the financial area who intend to continue to progress professionally in the field of governmental finance. If you are not currently a member of the GFOAT and are awarded a scholarship, the Scholarship/Fellowship Committee will also provide a one year membership to the GFOAT. GFOAT pays the conference registration fee, lodging, and travel expenses.